Termites are usually said to be “the silent destroyers” because they might be clandestinely hiding and booming in your home or yard without any signs of damage straight away. All termites consume cellulose-based plant materials. But despite the good construction type of your house, it can still provide cellulose food for termite invasion.
How to identify termites in your house
Termites are usually known as white ants, termites destroy precious property, furniture, documents and furnishing. Termites teem and breed underground, in the soil. They crawl up through the tiny cracks in the foundation and walls of your building. As they walk forward, they build the mud channels to provide themselves with darkness and higher humidity which they need to survive.
When you notice such marks in your wall you get an indication that your house is under attack by termites. Pest control services provide the pest control for termite with the help of latest technology. Want to know how to get red of termites? well either hire a company like DM pest control Sydney or do it yourself (which is a harder option though).
How to get rid of termites –
Natural ways to eliminate termites
- Boric Acid– The most common chemical for termites and other pests, boric acid is widely available. Once ingested boric acid will shut down the termite’s central nervous system while dehydrating it. Although boric acid is usually used in household products, boric acid is a toxic and should be kept away from children and pets.
- Cardboard traps– This method will not eliminate a termite problem, but it can surely reduce the number of active termites. Take few flat strips of cardboard, wet them, then stack them to place you believe there to be termite activity. The termites will infest the cardboard, which they see as a food source. Once the strips are infested, simply take the strips outside and burn them. By continuing with this process you can destroy hundreds of termites.
- Eliminating moisture– For the most part it is known that termites thrive and multiply in the areas that are rich in moisture. Keeping this in mind, you can ensure that the interior of room or the building is kept dry and that any moisture prone areas are repaired.
- Using botanical treatments– Using orange oil can be effective because it contains the active compound called as d-limonene. This compound is powerful enough to kill termites on contact. Dry wood termite colonies with well defined boundaries are most vulnerable to orange oil treatments.
Professional ways to eliminate termites-
- Local precision treatment – This treatment is used when the termites have not yet travelled into the inaccessible areas of your home. This is chemical or liquid treatment; they will drill and treat all infested areas of home using a diamond pattern.
- Local precision foam treatment– This treatment is used when the termites have travelled into the inaccessible areas of the home. This is a chemical treatment, so keep children and pets away from it.
- Subterranean treatment– This treatment is offered in both infested areas and around the home. If infestation is found in crawl space then the full perimeter treatment would be done in that area. If infestation is found outside the home, the treatment will be either by trenching or by drilling.
- Fumigation- In this the house is wrapped in large tarps, and then the tarps are filled with fumigant gas which is circulated through the entire structure using fans. The tent is left on the home at least 24 hours than all tarps are removed. The owner can re enter the home when no signs of fumigant is detected.